Animal Care (Husbandry) Manager
Immediate opening for well-qualified candidates who are able to manage all animal care operations, supervise keepers and keeper roles, maintenance of exhibits, providing a positive guest experience, supervising all Keeper positions, assisting management with the animal collection and collection planning and assist veterinarians and veterinary technicians in the tasks associated with the Park’s medical program.
This position is part of a dynamic and progressive Animal Care team!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Manages the animal care department and the corresponding team of Keepers in providing the highest
standards of care to ensure the health and well-being of the animal collection.
- Establishes themselves role model/leader in animal husbandry, care and welfare.
- Possess an overall understanding of animal husbandry, care and welfare and provides direction using their experience and knowledge.
- Understands the seriousness of abnormal behaviors and medical conditions and provides outcomes and solutions to leadership
- Understands the importance of welfare and daily reviews the welfare of animals and makes decisions and suggestions for the animals in their care
- Confirms regular adherence to USDA Animal Welfare Act and assists on completing the USDA inspection
- Communicates veterinary and animal husbandry information in a timely manner to the leadership team and keeper team
- Works with the Park’s team of external veterinarians and veterinary staff
- Uses training techniques to optimize care and welfare, identifies and determines training goals
- Ensures application of enrichment and enriching experiences to optimize care and welfare, identifies and prioritizes enrichment goals, evaluates enrichment activity schedules & devices to determine effectiveness, and collaborates with enrichment consultants to achieve enrichment goals and advance the behavioral enrichment program
- Partnering with the leadership team to assess and develop exhibit/animal space modifications and enhancements
- Enters daily records into the database Animal Care Software
- Evaluates content and completeness of daily records in team area
- Performs regular formal evaluations for staff.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Life Science such as Biology, Zoology, Ecology or closely related discipline
- Minimum three years’ experience with exotic mammal species in a zoo, aquarium or closely related activity
- Experience working with large mammals required
- Experience in supervision, management and leadership required
- Position schedule is considered in advance and includes weekends, holidays and all-weather conditions.
- Acts as internal lead and/or incident commander in animal escape situations
- Responds to animal emergencies quickly and calculates risks involved
- Active participant in the Weapons Team
GENERAL JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ensures exhibit presentation quality standards for cleanliness and maintenance to maximize our guest experience
- Interacts with visitors to assist and share information
- Shares critical information, best practices, and procedures on a consistent basis with staff
- Promotes a collaborative relationship across the whole AC department and with other zoo departments
- Exemplifies the highest ethical standards to ensure the health and well being of the animal collection
- Ensures that all regulatory standards are met such as USDA Animal Welfare Act
- Reports animal maintenance issues and potential hazards for staff in a timely manner
- Ensures consistent productive operating practices by identifying areas for potential revenue generation, reduction of costs and more efficient procedures
- Interacts with other department managers as a member of the Business Operations team
- Holds peers accountable for their performance
- Represents the zoo for some public relations and media events on behalf of the department
- Adheres to Park’s policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Policy Manual
- Attends monthly all-employee meetings
- Attends weekly animal management meeting with leadership
- License, Certification, or Preferred Qualifications:
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record is desirable
- Ability to certify in First Aid/CPR/AED
- Ability to be part of the Weapons Team
- The salary for this position is commensurate with experience. Shared housing opportunities may be available
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
- Please include 2 references with your resume
Please contact email@example.com if you experience any issues with the application process or have further questions regarding the position.
Animal Park at the Conservators Center Employment Application
Animal Care (Husbandry) Manager